Developer: Unfiltered Audio
Hot on the heels of the release of Unfiltered Audio’s unique saturation plugin Indent, Plugin Alliance proudly announces the rollout of the processor’s big brother: the hardcore distortion plugin Dent. Simply put, Dent shatters the mold in its product category. Combining transformative wave-cycle distortion with a matchless modulation system, Dent gives sound designers, mixers, remixers, DJs and Electronic Music producers the ability to quickly and easily infuse their productions with sounds never before heard, distinguishing their work from the competition.
Rather than simply add harmonic distortion to tracks, Dent transforms them at the atomic level. A suite of powerful processors distorts the basic wave cycle, aggressively mutating tracks into something completely new and exciting. In addition to six different bitcrushers, four distinct clippers and a sampling-rate controller, Dent uses two waveshapers, independently adjustable positive-and negative-phase DC offsets, half-cycle phase inversion, and probabilistic and sequential wavesets to warp a track’s foundational sound and, optionally, create dynamic rhythmic patterns for the distorted output.
Adding to all this power, Dent’s parameter values can be dynamically altered in real time using Unfiltered Audio’s included flagship modulation system: six freely assignable and fully automatable modulators (sine LFO, sawtooth/triangle LFO, square-wave LFO, input follower, sample-and-hold noise, and a macro control knob) use intuitive drag-and-drop virtual patching to most controls. An adjustable, analog-style lowpass filter—with separate resonance control and pre/post-distortion switch—shapes the sound’s timbre to perfection. A convenient Mix control provides instant parallel processing, blending the distorted signal with the original sound at Dent’s output. A real-time display shows how the wave cycle’s shape changes after processing is applied, guiding the user’s control tweaks.
Of course, Dent can process tracks moderately to preserve their basic identity. For example, clean electric guitars can be severely overloaded and given a stereo wah wah effect—big changes, but still recognizable as a guitar track. But for the adventurous, Dent can mutilate tracks beyond recognition, making piano tracks sound like artillery and drum tracks like heavy machinery. Boring rhythm sections can be transformed into fresh, contemporary instruments that immerse listeners. It’s this wide latitude that makes Dent so broadly useful. Producers and mixers alike are finding a wide spectrum of uses for Dent, from extremely subtle mix adjustments to completely destructive audio havoc.
To celebrate the release of this remarkable plugin, Plugin Alliance is making Dent available as a $29 upgrade, until the end of August, to its members who took advantage of the recent free promotional download of Indent. And the bargain swings both directions: users who purchase Dent also receive Indent for free.
“Unfiltered Audio are profusely innovative, and we’re proud to be working with them to deliver that innovation to the world,” said Dan McFarren, Product Marketing Manager at Plugin Alliance. “Dent is remarkable in the flexibility it offers in its product category, and we’re truly excited to see a myriad of uses unveil as our customers incorporate this plugin into their projects.”
“We had a total blast developing Dent!” enthused Michael Hetrick, CEO of Unfiltered Audio. “Dent can produce completely unique sounds from any source by combining classic distortion techniques with extremely unusual, academic processing—all of which can be manipulated by our modular patching system.”
Unfiltered Audio plugins, as well as all other Plugin Alliance products, are provided in AAX native, VST and AU formats for Mac OS 10.6 or higher and Windows 7 through 10. All Plugin Alliance products are available as fully functional 14-day demos at Plugin-Alliance.com
- Presets featuring settings from The Crystal Method, Mirrorball Entertainment, Julius Dobos, and Toby Pitman of Air Studios
- Six distinctive bitcrushing algorithms (including a circuit-bent toy simulation!)
- Four clippers: Hard Clip (digital), Soft Clip (analog emulation) harmonically complex Wavefold or Overfold
- Continuously variable Bias and Split controls progressively add DC signal to one or both phases of the input signal
- Two waveshapers independently adjust the amplitude of—and optionally invert—positive and negative phase components of your signal
- Sound-warping Shape control progressively squares off or pinches waveform peaks
- Probabilistic and Sequential Waveset (internal step-sequencer) processing creates dynamic rhythmic patterns for the distorted signal with a simple twist of two knobs
- Unfiltered Audio’s flagship modulation system provides six freely assignable modulators (sine LFO, sawtooth/triangle LFO, square-wave LFO, input follower, sample-and-hold noise, and macro control knob) with drag-and-drop virtual patching to most of Dent’s controls
- Adjustable, analog-style Low Pass filter—with separate resonance control—can be placed pre- or post-distortion
- Continuously variable SR control progressively degrades the sampling rate of processed signal by directly manipulating Dent’s internal DSP
- Mix control provides parallel processing
- Zoomed-in waveform display shows the shape of wave cycles after processing, guiding your control tweaks
- Get crunchy analog-style tones like guitar pedal effects, or searing digital demolition like bitcrushing and sample rate reduction
- Add attitude to vocals with input gain, square up bass tracks with the Shaper, obliterate samples with the Bits and Sample Rate reducers, and run it all through a screaming low-pass filter
$99/ With the purchase of Dent, you get a full license for its little brother, Indent, for free