Developer: Plugin Alliance
In 1961, Klein & Hummel’s UE-100 Universal Equalizer® all-tube minimum phase EQ used six discrete filter modules that could create dynamic band-pass curves for a smooth and warm response on any audio source by boosting and/or cutting frequencies across the spectrum. Now, instead of paying up to $20,000 for a stereo pair of vintage UE-100 rack units, Lindell Audio’s TE-100 plugin re-creates this piece of German audio history with immaculate realism for a price of only $149.
The original UE-100 hardware delivered warm saturation from 14 vacuum tubes, as well as eight musical bands of equalization from the classic Rundfunk broadcasting EQ. Lindell’s TE-100 accurately simulates the behavior, sound and strangely intuitive interface of the original, including the brawny, dynamic, Pultec-style band-pass curves that let you both cut and boost at coincident frequencies. Low-pass and high-pass filters sit at each end of the TE-100, and dual parametric band-pass filters in the mid section can highlight the sweet spot of any sound source with warm lows, crisp highs and a tight response. Unique pushbutton frequency selectors allow quick and accurate settings.
New TE-100 features for the digital domain include level calibration, adjustable oversampling rate, and a resizable GUI. An Analog Mode simulates the output transformer overdrive of the hardware along with the noise floor, and filters can be globally disabled while preserving the effect of the emulated vacuum tubes.
“Without a doubt, the Klein & Hummel UE-100 is the best-sounding EQ ever made in Germany; it is unrivalled in punch and sweet-sounding high frequencies,” said producer/engineer Michael Zimmerling, who has worked with hundreds of artists, including luminaries such as David Bowie, George Clinton, Depeche Mode and Maceo Parker. “I never thought it would be possible to model this iconic EQ, with its 14 tubes and 25kg of weight, but Lindell cracked Pandora’s Box. If you’re after that vintage sound like me, then this is it!”
- Faithful emulation of the all tube and transformer circuit from the Klein & Hummel UE-100 vintage equalizer of the 60’s
- Eight bands allow you to carve and customize the perfect response for critical frequencies in your mix
- Unique parametric low and high band pass filters allow broad or focused, musically sweet curves
- Warm tube saturation and musical bands from the classic Rundfunk broadcasting EQ
- Analog Mode adds simulated noise floor and transformer saturation from the original hardware
- Create dynamic frequency response curves that simultaneously cut and boost – like a Pultec on steroids
- One of the most sought after tube equalizers in the history of recording. The hardware contains no less than 14 tubes!
- Full control over workflow with adjustable oversampling rate, level calibration, and resizable interface